Mistake on your tax return? Here is the solution: Amended Returns

If you discover an error after you have filed your return, you may need to correct or amend your tax return. The IRS may correct errors involving mathematical or clerical errors on a return and may accept returns without certain required forms or schedules in which case you do not need in that case to correct/amend your return. However, do file an amended return if there’s a change in your filing status, income, deductions, or credits. Use Form 1040X(pdf) , Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed Form 1040 (pdf), Form 1040A(pdf), Form 1040EZ(pdf), Form 1040NR (pdf), Form 1040 NR-EZ (pdf), or to change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS. In addition you can also use Form 1040X to make a claim for a carryback due to a loss or unused credit; however, you may also be able to use Form 1045 (pdf), Application for Tentative Refund, instead of Form 1040X. Also, if the Form 8938 (pdf), Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets, applies to you, file it with an annual return or an amended return. See the Form 8938 instructions for more information.

If you owe additional tax for a tax year for which the due date for filing hasn’t passed, you can avoid penalties and interest if you file Form 1040X and pay the tax by the due date for that year (without regard to any extension of time to file). If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, filing the form and paying the tax is timely if filed or paid the next business day. If you file after the unextended due date, don’t include any interest or penalties on Form 1040X; they will be adjusted accordingly.

In many cases, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, (whichever is later). Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date. Be aware special rules apply for refund claims relating to net operating losses, foreign tax credits, bad debts, and other issues. You can find more information about amending a return by referring to the Form 1040X Instructions, and What If I Made a Mistake? in Chapter 1 of Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax for Individuals. But note: You cannot file an amended tax return electronically using the e file system. See Where To File in the Form 1040X Instructions for the address to mail your amended return.

File a separate Form 1040X for each tax year you’re amending. Mail each form in a separate envelope. Be sure to enter the year of the return you’re amending at the top of Form 1040X. The form has three columns:

Column A shows original figures (the original return) or adjusted figures.

Column B is the difference between Columns A and C. (There’s an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes you’re making and the reason for each change.)

Column C shows the corrected figures.

Be sure to attach copies of any forms or schedules affected by the change. Note: be certain to include any Form/s W-2 received after the original filing. You should also attach Form/s W-2G and 1099 that support changes made on the return if there was income tax withheld.

You can check the status of your Form 1040X(pdf) using WMAR (Where’s My Amended Return?) an online tool, or by using the following toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return. These tools are available in English and Spanish. Note: You can track the status of amended returns for the current year and up to three prior years.

You will be required to enter your TIN (taxpayer identification number), which is usually your social security number, date of birth, and ZIP code in either tool to prove your identity. Once you have entered your information the web tool will show the status of your amended return within the processing stages: Received, Adjusted, or Completed. Please note: amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system. Unless specifically indicated there is no need to call.

Note: Changes made on your federal return may affect your state tax liability. For information on how to correct your state tax return, contact your state tax agency.